Sunday 3 December 2017

Sophia McMahon, 'Autark'

I recently had the opportunity to pick the brain of Adelaide's own, Sophia McMahon; fashion designer/ creative director and all around girl boss of her own Australian women's clothing label, Autark.

For those of you who may not have heard of the label, go check it out www.autarklabel.com/


Why the name 'Autark'?

 The name Autark is a reflection of me in meaning and origin – it’s German for self-sufficiency and independence, which speaks to my ideals and the ethos I have for my business; I’m proud of its independence as I have complete control over how everything operates.

When did you realise you wanted to be a fashion designer and what is your background in fashion?
 I have been interested in fashion in one way or another since I was a little tyke, my beautiful Nana used to make the clothes I would design for my Barbie dolls. I took a bit of an unconventional path through speech pathology before I decided that I had to try something I felt passionate about and enrolled at TAFE. Study was fantastic – I learned a lot about different aspects of the industry, and decided that design was where my heart lay. I have been running Autark since graduating in 2015.

If you could give advice to your younger self when you first started out, what would it be?
 "Trust your instincts and try not to be afraid to fail".

What are your thoughts on ethical fashion as opposed to fast fashion?
 I am excited about the shifts I see in the industry. There is clearly a growing importance placed on consumer knowledge – of the origin and construction of fashion, as well as the ethos and ethics behind a brand. Increasingly I see that a disregard of the resources of the planet, and its people, just doesn’t cut it for customers. It’s so heartening to see – as 500 000 tonnes of leather and textiles end up in Australian landfill every year, it’s clearly happening not a moment too soon.

Through Autark, my goal is to produce pieces that are a little different, yet timeless, so that customers can purchase less, but better. Production runs are kept small, and only natural fibers are used to limit wastage. I am also proud to operate entirely in Adelaide to ensure that all pieces are produced ethically.

What/ who is your spirit animal?
 Every day I aspire to be as badass as the honey badger.

What is something that most people may not know about you?
 I have an unhealthy obsession with eating potatoes.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time (if you have any)?
Mostly plotting and dreaming about fashion, design and travel.

There we have it, she is not only an incredible creative, she is also environmentally conscious, looking forward to seeing more of what the honey badger behind Autark has to offer in the next few years!


Dress | Autark - 'Drape' dress





No comments:

Post a Comment